NEW YORK, June 2, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — Make Music Day, the annual world celebration of music occurring on June 21, at the moment introduced its up to date schedule of in-person and digital music-making occasions that may immerse and enthrall contributors whereas showcasing music’s energy to attach, consolation, unite and uplift. That includes 1000’s of free outside live shows, performances, music classes and jam periods nationwide, the all-day musical celebration on the summer time solstice might be held in over 100 U.S. cities and the whole states of Connecticut, Hawaii, New Mexico, Vermont and Wisconsin. This yr’s occasion will return to a largely in-person expertise after final yr’s pivoted to a largely digital one as a result of pandemic. Security protocols will stay in place.
Fully totally different from a conventional music competition, Make Music Day celebrates and promotes the pure music maker in all of us, no matter age, ethnicity, background or talent stage. Make Music Day is a free and open invitation for everybody to make, get pleasure from, carry out, educate, be taught and expertise the enjoyment of constructing music on the longest day of the yr.
U.S. cities internet hosting main celebrations this yr embody New York Metropolis, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Kansas Metropolis, Los Angeles, Madison (WI), Miami, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New Haven (CT), and Santa Fe, amongst others. Moreover, iconic buildings, landmarks and points of interest in collaborating U.S. cities will shine orange in honor of Make Music Day.
Launched in France in 1982 because the Fête de la Musique, Make Music Day has grow to be a worldwide sensation, noticed by lots of of thousands and thousands of individuals in over 1,000 cities in 120 international locations. Make Music Day is introduced within the U.S. by The NAMM Basis and coordinated by the nonprofit Make Music Alliance.
To recollect and honor the lives misplaced to COVID, Make Music Day will current a musical memorial, This Second in Time, a collection of gong performances nationwide and globally. At midday native time, a famous musician will play on a big gong for one straight hour, marking the yr of incalculable loss, but additionally ushering in a brand new period. The performances might be dwell streamed to MakeMusicDay.org. Afterwards, in lots of areas, the general public might be invited to play the gongs. This Second in Time observances will happen in Canada, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and 15 U.S. cities, with extra areas to be introduced.
Extra nationwide highlights of Make Music Day within the U.S. will embody:
- Flowerpot Music — A brand new assortment of items by composer Elliot Cole and directed by percussionist Peter Ferry options an unlikely however lovely percussion instrument: the flowerpot. On June 21, over 40 teams will assemble in parks, fields and public squares to be taught and premiere a particular model of “Flowerpot Music.” Attending percussionists will obtain Balter mallets, generously offered by accomplice Vic Firth.
- Junkophonics — Cities throughout the U.S. will host junkophonics workshops the place individuals of all ages can construct wind, percussion and string devices out of discovered objects.
- Leaf Music — Throughout us, an beautiful musical instrument is hidden in plain website: the leaf. Music followers all over the place are urged to search out their favourite tree and check out the commonest unusual instrument. Leaf Music packages on June 21 will embody a World Leaf Symposium over Zoom, a Observe Meet that includes leaf musicians, and tutorial movies for turning your individual greenery right into a symphony.
- Mass Attraction — Individuals of all ages and talent ranges will be part of collectively to make music in over 150 giant, single-instrument teams. Anybody can participate, and in lots of circumstances, you do not even have to carry an instrument! Hohner will present free harmonicas to contributors at 35 Harmonica Mass Attraction occasions. D’Addario is contributing ProMark drumsticks to 23 bucket drumming occasions, for anybody to make use of and produce house with them. Rhythm Band Devices is sending bundles of Boomwhackers and hand percussion for 40 drum circles. And Alfred Music is offering free starting ukulele songbooks for 34 ukulele gatherings.
- MixMash Studios — The general public is invited to ship briefly recordings of bass traces, barking canines, vocals, machine noises, or the rest they discover intriguing. Then, on June 21, producers will create an authentic piece utilizing solely these samples, and nothing extra.
- Music Lesson Marathon — Shake the mud off your instrument and begin taking part in once more, or strive an instrument for the primary time. Dozens of grasp musicians throughout all kinds of devices might be providing 12 hours of dwell, free on-line group classes on Make Music Day, curated by Dance Music Initiative, Flight Ukuleles, Hohner Harmonicas, Jupiter Band Devices, Music Academics Nationwide Affiliation, and Nuvo Devices.
- #MySongIsYourSong — Musicians will take part in a worldwide tune swap the place they will be taught an authentic tune by one other artist, and listen to theirs lined in return.
- The American Tune — Capturing the tales and experiences of peculiar individuals throughout the U.S., the Make Music Alliance will pair 50 individuals — one from every state — with 50 skilled songwriters. On June 21, every songwriter will video chat with their accomplice, write a tune impressed by their speak, after which, throughout a second video chat, carry out the tune for his or her accomplice.
- Observe Meet — Over six hours, groups of 4 musicians will create model new authentic tracks in a artistic relay. Utilizing SoundTrap, every musician will get one hour so as to add their contribution earlier than the subsequent teammate takes over. The ultimate tracks might be hosted on-line for all to get pleasure from. This yr, the brand new featured instrument is the aforementioned musical leaf.
- Window Serenades — Musicians will proceed the brand new MMD custom of sharing the enjoyment of dwell music with remoted aged individuals by taking part in exterior nursing house home windows in 16 cities for many who request a tune. Particular due to Harman for supporting this venture.
- Younger Composers Contest — To mark the Tulsa Race Bloodbath’s one centesimal anniversary, composers aged 13-21 wrote a tune for an overdubbed, a cappella baritone singer, utilizing textual content from a first-hand account of the tragedy. A panel of distinguished judges will choose three successful items that might be recorded and launched on-line on June 21.
Metropolis-specific U.S. highlights will embody:
- El Paso (TX) — Locals can participate in “On a Hike Be aware,” a hike via town’s mountainside, with dwell keyboards, donated by Casio, offering the soundtrack.
- Inexperienced Bay (WI) — Drawing on town’s native historical past and heritage, organizers will current “Packerland Polka Palooza” within the Title City District.
- Hartford (CT) — A collection of overlapping performances by bands and musicians of a number of genres might be held within the common Pratt Road Historic District. Organizers may also activate empty storefronts with music piped exterior to be loved by music followers and passersby.
- Houston (TX) — For its debut MMD, festivities will embody Parks Division summer time youth activations at 20 areas, and particular Houston Airports Concord within the Air performances.
- Knoxville (TN) — A classical music occasion at Zoo Knoxville’s Tiger Temple, and a celebration of the blues with music by Knoxville College of Rock and dwell portray on the Knoxville Museum of Artwork are among the many highlights.
- Land O’ Lakes (WI) — A piano participant will serenade fishermen, boaters and beach-goers at Black Oak Lake Seashore.
- Las Cruces (NM) — At Klein Park within the historic Mesquite District, an area mariachi group will talk about mariachi music’s significance to the area’s tradition earlier than giving a particular efficiency.
- Milwaukee (WI) — Metropolis establishments together with the Beulah Brinton Home, Florentine Opera, and UWM Music Library will all maintain particular dwell and on-line packages. Moreover, Guitars 4 Vets will showcase native guitarist veterans.
- New York (NY) — The flagship occasion of MMD, Make Music New York highlights will embody “Masayo Ishigura and Miyabi Koto Shamisen Ensemble” in partnership with the Consulate Basic of Japan at Bryant Park; “Music Traveler at Oculus,” that includes 5 distinctive, vigorous and interactive piano-centric units from the bottom stage of Downtown’s famed public transit hub; “Mozart’s Requiem;” and “The Apollo Presents: Respect the Home,” the place famous home DJs will carry out beneath the Apollo Theater marquee.
- Platteville (WI) — “The “M” Stands for Music and Mining” occasion might be held atop the very best level in southern Wisconsin — the world’s largest “M” — and within the underground Bevans Mine utilizing a conveyable keyboard donated by Casio.
- Portland (ME) — A claw-foot tub and bathe with curtain full with a sound system might be arrange in a busy downtown sq., Lobsterman Park, so individuals can hop in and exhibit their bathe singing expertise.
- Southeastern (CT) — Over 100 performances will happen throughout the area with New London holding “levels” on the Whale Tail, Garde Arts Middle, and Cumulus Media New London.
Concurrently with the U.S. occasions, Make Music Day might be celebrated globally. Make Music Day UK, in partnership with Past Pores and skin and the John Cage Belief, will debut a collection of movies from around the globe displaying performances of John Cage’s silent composition, 4’33”, together with lots of of extra conventional live shows and music workshops. In Lagos, Nigeria, highlights embody a “New Music Marathon” the place radio stations play songs which have by no means earlier than been broadcast, and “Pop-up Worship,” a gospel music songwriting camp for youth.
Elsewhere, Australia will stage yard and balcony live shows and avenue performances countrywide, Make Music Cyprus will characteristic live shows all through the previous metropolis of Nicosia, and 400+ Italian cities will take part, one spotlight being a efficiency at Castello Sforzesco in Milan by Italian rock star Eduardo Bennato. Moreover, Make Music Day celebrations might be held for the primary time in Mexico (at venues in Mexico Metropolis and Cuernavaca) and in South Africa (in Durban).
At www.makemusicday.org on June 21, a 12-hour World Livestream will present highlights of those Make Music Day packages, and lots of others, as they unfold around the globe.
All Make Music Day occasions are free and open to the general public. Contributors who want to carry out, or to host musical occasions, might register at www.makemusicday.org. A full schedule of digital and in-person occasions might be posted on the web site in early June.
The official hashtag is #MakeMusicDay.
For editorial pictures of earlier MMD occasions click on here.
About Make Music Day
Held yearly on June 21 to coincide with the summer time solstice, Make Music Day is a part of the worldwide Fête de la Music happening in additional than 1,000 cities throughout 120 international locations. The daylong, musical free-for-all celebrates music in all its kinds, encouraging individuals to band collectively and play in free public live shows. This yr, over 100 U.S. cities and the whole states of Connecticut, Hawaii, New Mexico, Vermont and Wisconsin are organizing Make Music celebrations, encompassing 1000’s of music making alternatives nationwide. Make Music Day is introduced by The NAMM Basis and coordinated by the nonprofit Make Music Alliance. For extra info, please go to www.makemusicday.org
Taking part U.S. Make Music Cities in 2021
Albuquerque (NM), Allen (TX), Anaheim (CA), Appleton (WI), Austin, (TX), Avon Lake (OH), Barron (WI), Beaumont (TX), Beverly Hills (CA), Huge Bear Lake (CA), Black Hills (SD), Bridgeport (CT), Charleston (SC), Charlotte (NC), Chattanooga (TN), Chequamegon Bay (WI), Chicago (IL), Cincinnati (OH), Columbia (SC), Crystal Lake (IL), Dallas (TX), Danbury (CT), Darke County (OH), Davis (CA), Decatur (AL), Denton (TX), Denver (CO), El Paso (TX), Englewood (NJ), Fairfield (CT), Federal Means (WA), Fitchburg (WI), Gallup (NM), Gig Harbor (WA), Inexperienced Bay (WI), Hartford (CT), Hastings (MN), Hebron (CT), Houston (TX), Issaquah (WA), Ithaca (NY), Kansas Metropolis (MO), Kenosha (WI), Knoxville (TN), La Crosse (WI), Lancaster (PA), Land O’ Lakes (WI), Las Cruces (NM), Liberty (MO), Los Angeles (CA), Macon (GA), Madison (WI), Marshfield (WI), Miami (FL), Middletown (CT), Milford (CT), Milwaukee (WI), Montclair (NJ), Montgomery (AL), Nashville (TN), Newark (NJ), New Haven (CT), New York (NY), Nicholasville (KY), Northwestern (CT), Norwalk (CT), Orange (CA), Ossining (NY), Palm Seashore County (FL), Peoria (AZ), Philadelphia (PA), Phoenix (AZ), Pittsburgh (PA), Platteville (WI), Portland (ME), Provo (UT), Rolla (MO), Roselle Park (NJ), Ridgefield (CT), St. Louis (MO), Salem (OR), San Jose (CA), Santa Fe (NM), Seattle (WA), Southeast (CT), Stamford (CT), Stratford (CT), Temecula (CA), Topanga (CA), Tucson (AZ), Twin Cities (MN), Ventura County (CA), Waterbury (CT), Waunakee (WI), Yonkers (NY) and the whole states of Connecticut, Hawaii, New Mexico, Vermont and Wisconsin.
About The NAMM Basis
The NAMM Basis is a non-profit supported partially by the Nationwide Affiliation of Music Retailers and its 10,400 members around the globe. The NAMM Basis works to advance lively participation in music making throughout the lifespan by supporting scientific analysis, philanthropic giving and public service packages. For extra details about The NAMM Basis, go to www.nammfoundation.org.
SOURCE Make Music Day