The Tabla artist Zakir Hussain turns 70 on March 9. Hailed as India’s most well-known percussion artist, Hussain has additionally proved his mettle in composing music for movies and in addition performing in a couple of.
Zakir Hussain is the son of legendary tabla participant Alla Rakha, who was an everyday accompanist of sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar.
On the event of Zakir Hussain’s 70th birthday, listed here are some attention-grabbing details concerning the desk maestro:
- Born to tabla maestro, Alla Rakha and Bavi Begum in Mahim, Mumbai on March 9, 1951, Zakir Hussain inclined to play the tabla at a really younger age.
- Hussain began studying to play percussion devices from a really younger age. His father taught him to play pakhawaj when he was 3.
- He was a part of a rhythm band named Planet Drum together with Mickey Hart, Sikiru Adepoju, and Giovanni Hidalgo. Their first album acquired the 1992 Grammy Award for Finest World Music Album, which was the primary Grammy on this class.
- The band reunited after 15 years and launched one other album – World Drum Challenge. This revolutionised the world music discussion board. Launched on October 2, 2007, the album gained the Grammy Award for Finest Up to date World Music Album in 2009.
- Hussain’s first cinematic stint was within the movie Warmth and Mud, a romantic drama launched in 1983. He composed the music and in addition starred within the movie. The movie was produced by Ismail Service provider.
- Hussain acquired the Padma Shri in 1988 and the Padma Bhushan in 2002. He additionally gained the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1990.
- Through the years, he has collaborated with many Indian in addition to worldwide artists. His affiliation with artists like Mickey Hart, John McLaughlin have created some legendary music.